Tuesday, November 23, 2010

You're So Vain, MSG



In this post I'm NOT going to talk about how much I hate faux- meat dishes. I'm not even going to mention the fact that I exchanged my stomach fluids for new ones after a Chinese lunch last Tuesday and now can't eat more than 1/4 of my normal caloric intake. You know, it's so stereotypical to blame MSG. My bean curd disguised as curry chicken was probably just left out in an alleyway for too long. It happens.


The problem with MSG and other such additives is that if you do enough research, you'll find equal supporting evidence for either side of the argument. The skeptics are very detailed in their rants (complete with a million case studies), and the supporters are very non-committal in their official 'safety' reports of investor sponsorship.



In my opinion, the story of MSG is like that of so many other additives, really. It's a compound isolated from a plant or whatever that's normally found whole in nature. And something about that refining and adding process just isn't good for you. Identifying something we want from nature, isolating and extracting that thing, refining it into something mass produceable and 'usable', and then using it mindlessly... sounds like oil. Ah! Tangent! Tangent!



So yeah, that's NOT what this post is about. This post is about spicy tuna and shrimp tempura sushi. I know, fighting a weak stomach with raw fish. Good thing the seafood stand at Reading Terminal Market is legit. I lived.


No comments:

Post a Comment