Monday, March 14, 2011

We all get tripped up on PI day sometimes

Dear nerds of the world wide web.... HAPPY INTERNATIONAL PI DAY...YESTERDAY! I wrote this post yesterday, but blogger's server wasn't letting me publish, so here it is, a day after Pi day, and what follows is a frankenstien post about the saddest pizza ever made on Pi day.

From yesterday: "I'm sure there are about 100 million other websites that say the same thing, but I am joining them.

How many digits can you recite? I can only do 3.141592... which isn't very far, but I type the number "3.1415" on a regular basis, so I feel good about that."

Incidentally, myself and my brother and his friend all made a pizza. It is not round. We cannot calculate the arc length of our crust in radians, because I don't have a pizza stone. Aw. But ooo is it good. edit: terrible! ( Actually, I'm lying, I don't know yet, because it's in the oven and I'm planning ahead for a speedy post. I gotta catch PI day while it's hot.)
After it came out of the oven:
This was the worst freakin pizza ever. The saran wrap came loose during the rise, and the dough dried out, and it never rose. We were hungry and thought, "hey, flatbread pizza?"

NOPE, WE MADE A BRICK PIZZA. I JUST ATE A BRICK.

The toppings were awesome: fresh basil, fresh mozzaralla, half pancetta, cracked pepper, TJ's pizza sauce. Too bad the dough was like playdough. Yuck.

But we ate it damnit, because we made it. Now do you trust me? I'll try again soon.

What other food bloggers blog about their failures? No too many. It's kinda sickening actually, every post is like "ooo look how amazing and delish this is!" Give me a little credit for showing you that crafts in the kitchen aren't always a shining success.

Edit: The next day, I went to go reheat some mashed potatoes. I opened the door of the microwave, and -much to my chagrin- I found this little bowl of yeast:
I put it in the microwave during the activation of the yeast to keep it warm and prevent air from blowing over it. We all had a pretty long laugh when we realized that we never added the yeast to the dough... NO WONDER it didn't rise. haha

4 comments:

  1. It must be genetic! My toppings are awesome but I'm terrible at making the dough. Dad and I made one a few weeks ago with dough I purchased at Trader Joe's because I thought I'd at least have a fighting chance. But alas, I too ate a brick; and I did have a pizza stone. Apparently that is NOT the issue. Better luck next time. Perhaps more wine is in order :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got have a few failures before the success - remember Edison!

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amanda, you have some really good stuff here! I look forward to following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a good Pi story too: I once made pheasant pie for Dave's family: stewed the pheasant, picked the meat, made the cream base with the pheasant broth and put it all together. The pearl onions and peas were wonderful, but it was kinda thin - something was missing. After dinner, I found the carefully picked pheasant meat in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete